The bay of Soúnio is the most southern bay of Attikí region and is situated at a geographically excellent location. It’s cape, on its eastern side, is a natural cape and constitutes the eastern border of Saronic gulf and also the southern border of the NE coasts of the gulf, a coastal area of 70 km which begins from the bay of Fáliro and it was known in the historical times as “Coast of Apóllo”.
In ancient times, the bay was a permanent base for the Athenian Navy, due to the strategic importance of its geographical location, and on the cape, at a lower level, there was a temple dedicated to Athéna, protector of Athens.
At 490 BC begun the construction of a doric temple, dedicated to Poseidon, on the highest point of the cape, by an unknown architect. The temple was completed in 440 BC.
The triangle formed between the temple of Poseidon in Soúnio and the temples of Afaía in Aegina and Ífaistos in Theseío, Athens, is an equilateral triangle with sides of 44.82 km length (temple of Poseidon – temple of Afaía) and 44.96 km (temple of Poseidon – temple of Ífaistos).
Today, only a part of the temple remains (19 pillars), and it is under preservation since 1890 AD. The wider area is a National Park since 1974, due to its historical, geographical and palaiontological significance. Offers very nice walks inside a pine tree forest.