Ermióni is a settlement that is continuously inhabited since the Homeric years and actually under the same name (with the exception of a few hundred years), which was given to the area from Ermíona, the grandson of King Foronéas of Árgos and founder of the city.
The town of Ermióni has known great days during the ancient years, mainly because of the processing and the commerce of the tyrian purple, a deep red colour dye produced from a special type of sea snail, which all kings around the world were crazy for and seeked it relentlessly. Ermióni participated in most of the events of the ancient world, the expedition against Troy, the construction of the walls in Isthmus, the sea battle in Salamína and the battle in Plataiés, etc. etc.
Unfortunately, remains of that era are scarce. The ancient city was built exactly underneath today’s settlement and therefore excavations are impossible. However, there have been found remains of a temple dedicated to Poseidon, on Ermióni peninsula, close to the cape Bísti (A. Kastrí). Also, the ancient harbour was found on the north side of the peninsula, inside a small and open bay formed there.
During the Byzantine Years, some of its previous glory is preserved, as suggested by the findings next to the Elementary school of the town: ruins of a complex from the early Christian years, a basilica church and the house of the Archbishop, all dated between the 5th and the 6th century AD. At the last centuries of the Byzantine Era, the area was named Kastrí.
During the Turkish Rule, the area was ignored by the Turks, so there was no rule really, just plenty of independence. In 1823, Ermióni became the seat of the government of the new Hellenic State.