The name Souvála comes from the Slavic word suvala, which mean swamp, given during the medieval times. There are many Souválas around Greece, some of which can be found in Fokída, Fthiótida, Évvoia, Pílio, and the islands of Íos, Sífnos and of course Aígina.
In the past, it was thought that the name Souvála comes from the verb “symvalo” (contribute), meaning the contribution (joining) of different waters in one place. However, today, historians believe that such an explanation was influenced by the effort the old linguists placed in order to find Hellenic roots in foreign words.
Souvála is the second commercial harbour of Aígina, the first and biggest being that of Aígina city. In the past, Souvála was the main harbour of the island, back then when the capital was within the walls of Paliachóra, for safety against the pirates (Paliachóra was a medieval village turned to fortress in the 9th century AD. It served as the capital of the island up until 1826. It’s remains lie behind and on top of the Ágios Nektários hill, 7 km from today’s Aígina harbour).
It is a quiet place, with a nice beach, conveniently placed close to some of the most important sights of the island: the temple of Afaía, the medieval Paliachóra and Ágios Nektários. In Souvála every year, the Marída (smelt) Feast or Fisherman’s Feast is held, around the end of July to beginning of August, where fried smelt, several fish and wine are offered for free. The feast includes traditional Greek dancing.