Ástros is a small village with a small history, at least compared with its historic neighbours. It has been founded at the last centuries of the Byzantine Empire by royal decree and soon after its haven, Parálio Ástros was built (parálio in Greek means “by the sea”).
Ástros is seldom found in the historic chronicles and is known for one reason only. This was the place where the 2nd National Congress of the new Hellenic state was held, in April 1823. During this congress, the Greeks tried to place the new foundations and principles in which they would live from now on. Unfortunately, the congress was dominated by the feud between the militia, supported by the mainland Greeks and lead by general Theódoros Kolokotrónis, and the politicians, supported by the islanders and lead by rich commerce men like Aléxandros Mavrokordátos, Geórgios Kountouriótis etc. The disagreement only got worse and the events following the congress lead to the Hellenic civil War of 1824.
The 2nd National Congress was held inside Karytsiótis school, a building where today the Archaeological Museum of Ástros is. Dimítris Karytsiótis was a rich Greek living in Trieste but his origins were from Ástros. When he died, he left a large estate and built Karytsiótis school, in order to help kids get educated.