The name of the island during antiquity was “Oliarós”, which means forested mountain. Historians believe, based on its name, that the island was part of Páros. Probably, due to geographical turbulences of the past, one part of the island sank and Antíparos was created.
The first installment on the island is estimated to have occurred in 4500 BC by Cycladítes. On the small islet of Sálago, the earliest to date Cycladic settlement has been found.
The first official mention of the island with today’s name of Antíparos, has been found in the 13th century AD.
During the Byzantine years and up until the Fall of Constantinople in 1453 AD, Antíparos suffered from piratic raids, a fact that did not change much after the beginning of the Turkish rule, as the Turks used the pirates in order to weaken the population and keep it from rebelling.
One of the most famous sightseeing of the island is the cave of Antíparos, which is considered among the most important in the world. There is a small chapel in its entrance, dedicated to Ágio Geórgio (Saint George). The cave starts by descending for 70m and then there is an opening 45 x 35m and 25m height. It is situated 7 km south of Antíparos (village).